Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Secret Life of Racial Tokenism

This week in class, we talked a lot about slavery and race. One of the ideas that came up quite a few times was 'racial tokenism'. Racial tokenism is basically when someone chooses to include people of another race just to make whatever they are including them in look diverse. I think the main place this shows up is in the media, and specifically on many TV shows. One of the programs where I have noticed this the most is called "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" on ABC Family. This is show is basically trying to capture exactly what the "real life" of a teenager is, but does so in an incredibly cheesy way. Since they are on ABC Family (which obviously has an emphasis on family programing) they have a very diverse cast. At first, this seems very nice and refreshing, but when I looked deeper than just the inclusion of different races, I noticed that they put all of the people of one race together and are very stereotypical in doing so. Even though all of the characters (no matter what their races are) are friends, they all date people of their same races. For example, the two Asian characters on the show are going out, while the two African American characters are also dating. I think it's almost worse to do this than not including diversity at all. It just seems like they are trying to send the message that all people should hang out with other people very similar to themselves. I definitely don't have a problem with a person dating another person with their same skin color, but it just annoys me that the creators of this show have put a huge effort in grouping races together. Now that I started thinking about racial tokenism in the media, I notice it everywhere and I'm sure you will too.

2 comments:

  1. Ellie,
    It is so interesting to read your post about racial tokenism in the media because now I am seeing it everywhere. Many of the shows on TV today aimed at younger audiences group the same races together, as if to show that certain races only hang out with each other. However, I also think it is ridiculous how many shows lack any sort of racial diversity. Even certain channels. For instance, Disney channel, aimed at a young, "tween" audience, has shows that lack any sort of diversity at all. Almost all of the actors on their shows are young, white, teenagers. I can only imagine what this says to the viewers watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie,

    See if you can find any research on this issue. It's kind of a pet project of mine. That's the only thing that would make this post better.

    See: Bolos Tokenism Links

    I really like this line: "I think it's almost worse to do this than not including diversity at all."

    Kudos to you for critically examining the media you consume.

    ReplyDelete