Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Adapting to Happiness

One topic that briefly came up in class a few days ago was the concept of "adapting to happiness". The concept is basically that, even if a person thinks they wouldn't be able to be happy in a certain situation, they would ultimately adapt to find happiness even in the worst situation possible. This idea made me think of a blog I have read a few times by a woman named Kelle Hampton. Her blog, "Enjoying the Small Things" talks about her life as a mother and her emotional journey learning about and coming to terms with the fact that the youngest of her two daughters, Nella, has Downs Syndrome. Kelle admits that when she found out the news about Nella, "My world was rocked to the core, and I was sure life as I knew it was over". However, after she had time to adapt to her new situation, she realized what a true blessing it was. On her blog, she wrote, "How wrong I was.  Between the outpouring of love and support we received, some hardcore life analysis and therapeutic insights I made on this blog through it all, I have arrived at the very beautiful place of Life is hard.  But it's also amazing, and I will rock the hell out of it." I think Kelle's story is a real inspiration, and is a perfect piece of evidence to show that no matter how difficult a situation may seem, people are designed to adapt and return to happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie- so true. I think thst not only do people return to hpiness, but they also achieve a more meaningful happiness when they first encounter strife. Kelle would not have recieved so much support if she had had a typically functionimg child. This also brings home the fact we have tzlked about in regards to class systems, that money does not buy happiness

    ReplyDelete