Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The (not-so) Proud Family

A couple days ago in class, Mr. Bolos brought up the idea that says, "If you don't know your history, it's like you were born yesterday." When he said this, it reminded me of the time I heard that exact same phrase when I was in about 4th grade, watching a show called The Proud Family on the Disney Channel. Here's the theme song for the show...
While reminiscing about this show I used to love and watch all the time, I realized that it is the perfect example of racial tokenism on TV. I would say that The Proud Family was the Disney Channel's token show for the time it was around. Almost every character on the show is African American or Hispanic (except for the one white, red-headed friend and the ambiguously colored purple girls...), so it was probably used to make the Disney Channel to seem racially diverse while still keeping the rest of their TV shows that have almost exclusively white characters. Do you think it is a problem that Disney used The Proud Family as a token program, or do you think the reasons don't matter as long as the diversity is shown?

No comments:

Post a Comment