Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Conscious Thinking

While surfing AOL's homepage tonight, I stumbled upon an article about a new study done about sexism. I clicked on the article just to see what it was about and if it had to do anything with any of our previous class discussions. It did. Instead of relating to class in the obvious way though, it related to the concept of our class as a whole. In one part of the article, a researcher stated, "If you document [sexism] and are confronted by a group of instances of sexism, then people start to see the unseen." This idea reminded me of my thoughts after a few weeks of American Studies class. I kept thinking that, after talking about an idea or writing a blog about a topic, I would notice things having to do with American Studies all over my life. In my meta-post for the first quarter, I even talked about this concept, writing, "About halfway through the quarter, I started seeing blog posts in everything. I even had to edit down my ideas because I would end up with 10 or 12 after one weekend because I was thinking about it all the time." I think this is true about anything in life. If you document something, you will be more conscious of it in your everyday life. Have you ever experienced this in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment