Saturday, January 15, 2011

Toy Story: My Story

 *SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen Toy Story 3 and don't want to have the ending ruined, do not read past the second paragraph or watch the video clip!!! (If you have, enjoy the entire blog post...)*

     Tonight, I decided to take a break from studying and finally watch Toy Story 3. Let me start by saying it was AMAZING and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't already seen it. It was a hilarious and clever movie, but the thing that struck me the most about it was how it speaks to kids our age and the many similarities between Andy's life and my own.
     Ever since junior year started, I have been getting questioned about college and what I want to do with my life. Though I'm really excited to go to college and experience new things out on my own, I feel like I am being pushed to grow up just because I am at "that age" (the age everyone assumes is the end of childhood, whether you, personally, are ready for it or not). Similarly, at the beginning of the movie, Andy's mom pressures him to make a decision about what to do with his toys as he is preparing to leave for college. Throughout the movie, Andy struggles with the dilemma of what to do with his toys- throw them away, keep them in the attic, or bring them to college with him. I see these options as representing ways to "dispose" of your childhood- become an adult immediately and never be childlike again, keep some childish qualities but still live your adult life, or never grow up.
     Eventually, Andy decides to pick answer D- "none of the above"- and hands off his treasured childhood toys to a tutu-clad little girl who promises to take good care of them and play with them all the time. I think this choice represents another way of dealing with growing up- embracing adulthood and passing on the childish fun to the next generation (while still having fun like a kid every once in awhile). What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment