Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We talk, kids listen

Today, while discussing childhood in class, I started to think about what things were emphasized in my house when I was younger. The common focuses came to mind first; sharing is caring, cleaning up is fun, and no whining allowed. After thinking for awhile longer, I realized that the things that were taught when I was young are responsible for the things that make me who I am today. For example, one of my pet-peeves is bad grammar. Whenever I hear someone say "Do you want to come with?", "Me and Ellie had fun!" or "I really need to do good on this test", I cringe at the sound of the words. When I thought back to when this pet-peeve started, I realized that it was because my parents always corrected our grammar (even when we were very young). Even though it's annoying to be bothered by bad grammar, I am still thankful for this small quirk in my personality because it's one of the things that make me who I am. When you think about it, who you are as a person is really just a combination of everything and everyone who has ever influenced you.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie I completely agree. My mom has corrected my grammar for as far back as I can remember. When my brother started using the word "like" incorrectly and too much, she started making him pay her 25 cents each time he misused it. Those little things are the essence of who we are as people. For example I don't say "tennis shoes" I say sneakers, and I say "under pants" instead of "underwear." People always make fun of me for stupid things like that, but they make me who I am.

    ReplyDelete