Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Help

This past week, I decided to pick up the book "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett as a light summer read. I didn't really expect much of it because I thought of it as just one of those books that a lot of people read but isn't really substantial. Boy, was I wrong. Though I'm only about 150 pages into the book so far, I have already realized that this is going to be an important book for decades to come. NPR.org agrees with me on their quote on the front cover of the novel, saying "This could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird… If you read only one book… let this be it"

Even though I'm not trying to read this book like I read a "school book", I can't help myself from finding parallels to other books we read this year in American Studies or topics we discussed in class. As I continue to read the book, I will mark the parallels as they show up and document them in my next few blog entries. 

I can't emphasize this enough, but YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!! (If you decide to read it let me know what you think and whether or not you agree with the parallels I found or if you have any more to add.)

No comments:

Post a Comment